Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Tale of Two Betrayals - The Day Democracy Died

Last Friday the world witnessed a bid for Palestinian statehood in the General Assembly of the United Nations. Last Friday, the world also witnessed the death of democracy at the hands of President Barack Obama.

In a desperate attempt to secure a second term, President Obama has not only betrayed the Palestinian people and their human rights and their right to exist, he has blatantly betrayed justice, democracy, and relinquished the United States' position as a world leader and a super power. 

Obama's speech at the UN General Assembly - a far cry from the day Obama was elected, a far cry from his Cairo speech - brought no mention of the dismantlement of Israeli settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, no mention of a dismantlement of the apartheid wall, no mention of an end to Israel’s illegal blockade and siege of Gaza, no mention of Israel's constant violations of International Law, no accountability for Israel's military occupation. No transparency. No democracy. It only brought a repulsive rhetoric devoid of honesty, devoid of sense, devoid of integrity, at the high cost of losing the respect of the Arab masses and his stature in the region. In the aforementioned Cairo speech which addressed the Muslim world, Obama said, "No single speech can eradicate years of mistrust.." yet, ironically, in one speech, America became a played-out, burnt-out force.

By blatantly adopting the Israeli narrative and omitting/twisting/paltering indisputable facts about the Palestinian-Israeli conflict in his UN speech, by desperately attempting to block palestinian statehood, Obama not only disgraced himself and relinquished his conscience and integrity, but he also disqualified himself and America as a fair mediator, and in an instant became a partner to Israel, leaving him and the United States with Zero credibility in the Arab and Muslim world, the International community and at home. In short, Obama has become an embarrassment not only to himself but to the American people as well.

The clamorous disregard demonstrated at the UN General Assembly resulted in the Palestinian authority's dismissal of the U.S. as a mediator if it were to restart negotiations with Israel, and a veto against Palestinian statehood will force other NATO and U.S. allies like Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia to defect and cause irreversible damage to the relations with other Arab and Muslim countries throughout the world. In short, Obama acted against the United States' interests to serve the interest of a right-wing Israeli government.

Whatever the outcome of the UN vote, Obama's action - or lack thereof - will invoke consequence. It would've been great to see Obama challenge the status quo and break out of his self-imposed limitations, and it would've been great for The United States to regain the high moral ground we claim to occupy, but alas, Netenyahu's pressure caused irreversible damage to Obama, the United States and to Israel as well.

In addition to further isolating the country on the world stage and giving new momentum to anti-American sentiment throughout the Arab world, Obama's actions will leave the US and Israel with a demonstratively shrinking number of friends in the international community.

So who's the biggest loser? Palestine, Barack Obama or Netenyahu? I say, Obama and Bibi have become two sides to the same coin.

Ultimately, Obama has lost the respect of the international community for a chance at a second term. Robert Fisk pronounced him 'neutered' and Uri Avnery likened him to a 'prostitute' whoring himself for a second term. Harsh words? Yes. Justified? Yes. Absolutely. Obama's actions did not only cost him the respect of the Arab world and the international community alone, but also the respect of his people. For any reasonable American, it will cost him a vote. It certainly cost him my vote.

Netenyahu on the other hand, fails to see that his aggression is leading him down a slippery slope, where instead of being in a position to initiate, will find himself having to face foreign decisions that will be forced upon him. He refuses to admit that he will further isolate Israel from it's regional neighbors, all Arab and Muslim countries. Ultimately, his pressure on Obama may shake Israel's relationship with the U.S. But that's Bibi, EYES WIDE SHUT. He refuses to budge. He refuses to extend the proverbial olive branch, and he refuses to admit that the more time passes without talks, the higher the price exacted from Israel will be upon entering negotiations.
 
Any winners?

Obama's disgraceful, imbalanced speech, coupled with Netanyahu's standard rhetoric - a reality-devoid rhetoric, laden with absurdity, shrouded in hostility and aggression, lacking in honest engagement - compared to Mahmoud Abbas' courageous address gave a new voice to the Palestinian struggle and allowed the Palestinians to emerge with new found respect and for their leader, Abbas, to emerge victorious, even heroic.

Meanwhile, there are some facts which remain indisputable. Palestine has already won a public media war and the support of the international community is clear and extensive.



Update:  The United Nation's Educational, Scientific and Cultural Oraganization (UNESCO) grants full membership to the Palestinians.

 
The vote was 107-14 in favor with 52 abstentions because of Israel and US pressure.


The Players
 



       
VS.


 
“The time is always right to do what’s right.”
- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.


Further Reading on the subject:
 
 

9 comments:

Michael said...

I have a complaint! Why don't you write more? This is so well done - I can tell you as someone who spends a lot of time in Jordan and Palestine, you have captured the sentiments of those folks over there. This past spring, I mediated a discussion about the Middle East here in West Virginia, and I showed a short clip of our ambassador to the UN, Susan Rice, explaining why we would be the only country vetoing a declaration against Israel. The crowd that included many people who knew little about the issue, laughed out loud at the doublespeak! I recently overheard a Palestinian saying "how could anyone deny the holocaust? where do you think they learned how to build these walls, their tactics?" I look forward to more posts.......

manalof said...

Why don't I write more often? Because I rarely find a subject that moves me enough to write about. I guess in the post Bush era, we're all a little politically jaded! Hardly anything moves or surprises us, yet Obama's recent speech (if not actions) somehow surpassed my expectations, even if he was working towards re-election!

p.s. I have never been to neither Jordan nor Palestine, but it isn't hard to be on the right side of justice.

manalof said...

By the way, I take great pride in your compliment and the fact that you follow my blog. I have read your profile and am impressed with your credentials, life experiences and the amount of traveling you have done, so your comments are highly respected and greatly appreciated.

Michael said...

:) Jaded, a term I hear a lot. The gulf between our two parites and ideologies seems large on this side of the pond, but from the other side it is impossible to determine which party is in power - it is business as usual. Your eloquent post illustrates that. I admire your passion, and I think it speaks volumes of you that you can still be surprised. I wish I still had the same condition...

michael said...

BTW - A confession born in one of life's pleasant ironies: I was first attracted to your blog by a beautiful picture, but then really taken by the cogent and vibrant prose. I will repeat my admonition that you should write more, and I won't feel so guilty about my more base impulses as they sometimes lead to nice things...

Ahmed Farouk said...

I like u 1st explain the whole situation then go direct to say ur opnion , and im completly with it

manalof said...

Michael, I somehow missed your last comment, till now. Truthfully, I wondered what brought you to my blog, since you were among the first to sign up, and knowing that I didn't raise a finger to promote it, and since not too many out there are attracted to political blogs. But then I realized that you have a political blog as well, and that explained that. To find out that it was my photo.. well..
But I can't say that I'm devastated. I guess turning Forty isn't as terrible as I made it out to be : )

Thank you for you kind words.. those that pertain to my looks, those that pertain to my writing, and inadvertently, those that refer to my marketing skills ; )

manalof said...

Thank you Ahmed for reading my piece. I value your feedback and I'm glad to hear that we see eye to eye on this issue.

Michael said...

You are welcome. Despite my occasional bouts with superficiality, I do know good writing when I stumble upon it for whatever reason. At the risk of redundancy - you should write more!